THE LORD GOD IS MY STRENGTH; HE WILL MAKE MY FEET LIKE DEER'S FEET, AND HE WILL MAKE ME WALK ON HIGH HILLS. HABAKKUK 3:19



Sunday, March 14, 2021

Jesus Christ is a Precious, Living Stone

Jesus Christ is called a precious, living stone in I Peter 2. Believers are also called living stones. Ye also, as lively (living) stones, are (being) built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. 

The references to Jesus as a living stone, and to us his followers as living stones, actually look forward to the quotation from Isaiah that Peter offers shortly afterwards. That's what “living” means: An abstraction, justice, is now embodied in a person, Jesus the Messiah. 

It is the rock upon which the weight of the entire structure rests. It is the cornerstone. Scripture describes Jesus as the "Chief Cornerstone" of our faith. As the Chief Cornerstone, Jesus ensures the stability of the whole system of our salvation.

It means enduring suffering, as Christ did for our sake when He died on the cross. Our role is not to fight a physical war for justice here; we will be going home soon.

Isaiah 28:16 ESV - Therefore thus says the Lord God, “Behold, I am the one who has laid as a foundation in Zion, a stone, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, of a sure foundation: ‘Whoever believes will not be in haste.’

1 Peter 2:6 ESV - For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

Galatians 3:28 ESV - There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 2:19-22 ESV - So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.

PRAYER: Father, thank You for sanctifying me by the truth; Your Word is truth. Jesus, You consecrated Yourself for my sake, so I’ll be truth-consecrated in my mission. In the name of Jesus, I repent and turn from my wicked ways. I wash myself, make myself clean. I cease to do evil, and I am learning to do right.

Father, You dwell in me and walk with me. So I leave the corruption and compromise; I leave it for good. You are my Father, and I will not link up with those who would pollute me, because You want me all for Yourself. I purify myself from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

Father, I confess my sins. You are faithful and just to forgive me my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness. Jesus has been made unto me wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption.

I submit myself to You, Lord — spirit, soul, and body. I strip myself of my old, unrenewed self and put on the new nature, changing whatever needs to be changed in my life. The desire of my heart is to be a vessel unto honor, sanctified, fitting for the Master’s use, and prepared for every good work.

Thank you, Lord, that I eat the good of the land, because You have given me a willing and obedient heart. Amen. ~Prayers that Avail Much

Scripture References: John 17:17,19; Isaiah 1:16,17; 2 Cor. 6:17; 2 Cor. 7:1;    1 John 1:9; 1 Cor. 1:30; Ephesians 4:22-24; 2 Tim. 2:21; Isaiah 1:19

No comments: