THE LORD GOD IS MY STRENGTH; HE WILL MAKE MY FEET LIKE DEER'S FEET, AND HE WILL MAKE ME WALK ON HIGH HILLS. HABAKKUK 3:19



Thursday, May 21, 2020

Psalm 119



The Way to Happiness

1 You’re only truly happy when you walk in total integrity,[b]
walking in the light of God’s word.
2 What joy overwhelms everyone who keeps the ways of God,
those who seek him as their heart’s passion!
3 They’ll never do what’s wrong
but will always choose the paths of the Lord.
4 God has prescribed the right way to live:
obeying his laws with all our hearts.
5 How I long for my life to bring you glory
as I follow each and every one of your holy precepts!
6 Then I’ll never be ashamed,
for I take strength from all your commandments.
7 I will give my thanks to you from a heart of love and truth.
And every time I learn more of your righteous judgments,
8 I will be faithful to all that your word reveals—
so don’t ever give up on me!

Psalm 119:1–176

The Word

The structure of Psalm 119, the longest psalm (and the longest chapter) in Scripture, is fascinating. The 22 stanzas follow in order the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet. Within each eight-verse stanza, the first letter of each line corresponds to the same Hebrew letter. So, in English, this would be eight verses beginning with “A” followed by eight verses beginning with “B,” eight verses beginning with “C,” and so on.

But the focus of this psalm is not Hebrew letters. The focus of Psalm 119 is the Word. As the most extended treatment of this topic in Scripture, Psalm 119 uses various terms (precepts, law, decrees, statutes, commands) to speak about the Word of God. God’s Word is eternal (v. 89). His commands are wise (v. 98). Those who walk in God’s commands, God considers blessed (vv. 1–2). If one wants to be pure, the Word of God needs to be his or her guide (v. 9).

The psalm is arranged in an acrostic fashion to help facilitate memorization, likely among children. Memorization of the Word leads to meditation upon the Word, producing the strength the psalmist described: “Cause me to understand the way of your precepts, that I may meditate on your wonderful deeds . . . strengthen me according to your word” (vv. 27–28). As the Word made flesh, Jesus would exemplify God’s ways and guide God’s people.
~NIV Jesus Bible

No comments: