THE LORD GOD IS MY STRENGTH; HE WILL MAKE MY FEET LIKE DEER'S FEET, AND HE WILL MAKE ME WALK ON HIGH HILLS. HABAKKUK 3:19



Friday, February 3, 2012

"I AM THE YAHWEH / EL SHADDAI"

Then the LORD (YAHWEH/JEHOVAH) said to Moses, “Now you will see what I will do to Pharaoh. I will use my great power against him, and he will let my people go. He will be so ready for them to leave that he will force them to go.”  Then God said to Moses, “I am the LORD (YAHWEH/JEHOVAH).  I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. They called me God All-Powerful (EL SHADDAI). They did not know my name, the LORD (YAHWEH/JEHOVAH).  I made an agreement with them. I promised to give them the land of Canaan. They lived in that land, but it was not their own.  Now, I have heard their painful cries. I know that they are slaves in Egypt. And I remember my agreement.  So tell the Israelites that I say to them, ‘I am the LORD (YAHWEH/JEHOVAH). I will save you. You will no longer be slaves of the Egyptians. I will use my great power to make you free, and I will bring terrible punishment to the Egyptians.  (Exodus 6: 1-6 ERV)

YAHWEH/JEHOVAH (traditionally rendered Jehovah) - The true and proper name of God. This is also a name of being independent, I AM WHO I AM only belongs to Jehovah God.  As we consider His greatness we should fall upon our face in awe of this One who possess all authority.

The Bible does not seek to prove the existence of God; it just simply states IN THE BEGINNING GOD.  But all through the Bible the revelation of  YAHWEH/JEHOVAH is seen.

YAHWEH/JEHOVAH  -  is a verb meaning to be, God is stating I will be who I will be.  God is the author of life and salvation.

The words, “I AM” expresses that God is the person and the being behind everything, and without Him there is nothing made.  I AM THAT I AM, expresses the truth that nothing or no one defines who God is but God Himself.

When you and I are convinced that we alone can do nothing and put our dependence upon a Holy God and our expectations upon God instead of man we shall see God’s hand revealed.

It seems that God usually brings us to the place I SURRENDER ALL.  I tried my way and failed.  Moses had been trying what he could do and accomplished strife and bitterness.  Then God answer’s with I will show myself as YAHWEH/JEHOVAH, I AM THAT I AM.

I AM THE FOUNTAIN OF LIFE AND THE SOURCE OF THAT LIFE

I AM THE FOUNTAIN OF BLESSINGS AND THE SOURCE OF BLESSINGS

I AM GOD AND BESIDES ME THERE IS NONE OTHER

Sit the other false God’s around me and they will fall and crumple. YAHWEH/JEHOVAH: I will now perform what I promised.  A God that perfects what he has begun and finishes it.

You might know God in name today, but do you know Him in the Power of the One who gives Life?  Church God wants you and me to know He is YAHWEH/JEHOVAH.  He has not left you for He said I will never leave you,  He said I will restore,  He will restore for He is YAHWEH/JEHOVAH/EL SHADDAI.

The Meaning of El Shaddai -   El: "mighty power".  EL is found 250 times in the Bible.  EL means, "Mighty power, omnipotence, the strong one."  Shaddai - "all sufficient provider."  "The most preferred explanation is that Shaddai is derived from the verb shadad ("to overpower, to deal violently, or to devastate"). ... God as 'El Shaddai is presented as the all-powerful One, totally self-sufficient, absolute ruler, and the One who can and does make final disposition."

"Shaddai" is probably related to the word "Mountain" and suggests the power or strength of God.  So the two names together mean, "The Almighty all-sufficient God who protects and provides."

Gen.17:1-8; 15-22    El Shaddai supplies the impossible.   God's future promise should make us happy in the present.

Gen.28:1-8    El Shaddai blesses the obedient.  Are you finding your joy and happiness in God as your El Shaddai?  Are we passing on a joyful confidence in God to those around us?

Gen.35:1-4; 9-12    El Shaddai doesn't share worship.

"It is significant that the covenant was introduced with a revelation by God of His name. This may not seem of great importance to us but in Eastern thought to reveal the name was to reveal the person and to invite intimacy." ~D. Stuart Briscoe and Lloyd J. Ogilvie

Names of God... "There is something in every Name of God which may breed faith in our souls. Whether we know him as Jehovah, Elohim, Shaddai, or Lord, or by whatsoever other name he has been pleased to manifest himself, that title becomes the ground of our confidence, and is the means of fostering faith in his people's minds, when they come to understand its meaning. To a trembling people the Lord enlarges on his wonderful names. I think he also does it to excite our wonder and our gratitude. He that loves us so much is Jehovah: he that can create and destroy; he that is the self-existent God; he, even he, has set his heart upon his people, and loves them and counts them precious in his sight. It is a marvelous thing. The more one thinks of it, the more shall he be overwhelmed with astonishment, that he who is everything should love us who are less than nothing. It is the Holy One who has deigned to choose, and to love unholy men, and to look upon them in grace, and save them from their sins. That you may bow low in loving gratitude, God lets you see who He is."  ~Spurgeon

~Bits and Pieces of sermons by Jim McCurry and David Scudder

For an indepth study of the names of God view:

No comments: